I hurt - I don't know who to call

It is easy to call people when you have joy to share. Everyone wants to be included in the good news. But when we hurt, the possibilities are small.

I think most people 1) don't want to be brought down, 2) don't want to be burdened with something else to do, 3) have not learned how to relate to hurting people, 4) are busy doing so much good ministry they have no time for hard ministry, 5) have a full schedule, or 6) even have their own hurts so they can't take on any new.

Hurting people are often fragile. They easily break. They need gentleness, and solid yes or no answers. They can understand when you can't give time, while still feeling loved. I suggest you pray for them. Ask, can I pray for your now... and just start to pray if they say it is OK.

Fragile, breakable.... without a mom

If we are continually unable to help those in need, we need to ask what are we doing as children in the Kingdom of God? What is our purpose?

Jesus said we are to love God with all our heart, mind and soul and to love our neighbors as ourself. Are we doing the two most important things that fulfills all law.

Note He didn't say love your family or love our friends ... He said to love your neighbors. Why did he say that?

What if you didn't have 'mom' to call?

Did you ever think that wounded Christians may not have family? It might be hard for you to imagine if you have a rich heritage of those who love you but many first generation Christians only have YOU as their family. Are you being family to them? Do you include them in family celebrations like birthdays, holiday and vacations? Do you think about a simply movie night or game night as something they have never experienced and would love to be part of?

Also, first generation Christians, basically new Christians, don't have many friends. Why? They had to leave those they considered friends behind when they became a Christian. They don't need to turn to a non-Christian in times of need, they need you. Do you make yourself available to those who don't have many friends, those who are new, those who are alone?

God is the center of their world and they need to be taught more about Him and brought up in the Word, with prayer and life on life discipleship.

But are you available to assist when someone is hurting, when they are in pain, when anxiety reaches a peak and they call out for help? Do you ask God before you say no?

Do people sense you are they kind of person they can reach out to in crisis or need? Be a friend for a friend. Be a sister for a sister. Love and you will be loved greatly in return.




Comments

Such an important post! I am sharing this because I so understand this! I am a first generation Believer and am grateful for the Body of Christ and yet also have much sensitivity to the "fringe" believers (as I think of them- and myself in some ways am) Some seem satisfied to enjoy their Christian heritage in a small, closed circle.
Mystic_Mom said…
This is a post that is very important to read, to share and to act upon. We all need to be there for each other, brothers and sisters in Christ, and it is so hard for many in faith communities to deal with the hard stuff of abuse and addiction and other things but we need to be neighbors to each other no matter what! Bless you!
healingsoul said…
Thank you! It is hard for us to reach out when life is going good for us. I think people don't want to be brought down or into other's messes. I can relate because since I have lived through a lot of mess, when I do get to good days, I avoid being brought down. But I think there is a lot that "normal" people can do to minister to hurting. Maybe they just don't know how or what... and that needs to be taught in churches.

Popular Posts